Sunday 2 February 2014

[WIP] DIY Aquatic Terrarium - "Buddy"

Okay, so I just made some changes to my little terrarium, so this post is a tad bit outdated, but it still includes the essentials so here's the post anyhow!

My first post featured my excitement and initial steps in preparing to make my very own aquatic terrarium. I was able to acquire the little glass jar, the pebbles, as well as the plant that I purchased online from a domestic seller. Although I expected to wait about a week for the plant to arrive, it came in about four days, which was a huge plus! You could imagine my excitement when it arrived.


I didn't specify which plant I purchased in the last post, but it's this. Commonly known as the moss ball, but in reality is a unique form of algae. I bought one around about 4-5cm, favouring this smaller one over the other one the seller had that was 7-8cm in diameter.


I must add firstly, that they're extremely adorable. This one here, which I call 'Buddy', was slightly flattened in transit, but still holds a round shape. I expected it to feel a bit softer and perhaps a bit slimier (I don't quite know why I had such an expectation) but although it's still squishy, it's also fairly solid and very nice to hold.


When I saw it in all it's glory, I realised one thing - I miscalculated! It definitely fits the jar I bought, but there's little room for decor to go in. I might look for another jar, but in the meantime, I am still very happy with it. The decor of little dinosaurs I bought from Hong Kong hasn't arrived yet, but this is how it is right now.

The budget was $30, and I spent $32 in total. If you take out the dinosaur figurines which aren't here yet, then the total comes to about $23-24.


Is it worth it? Well, the aquatic terrariums I found online, many which are only half the size of the one I made were going for $50 in total. The plants within it are also much smaller and in my opinion, not as fun to look at than this larger one. Even normal terrariums (as in, non-aquatic) ones go for around the same price. Even smaller ones are $30, some even $50. Don't even think about larger ones! I've seen a few in the hundreds even!

I did look into prices of succulents for normal terrariums, and you can get the smaller plants for just a few dollars be it online or at your local store. Adding the other components of a normal terrarium, your total would be far less than that.


So if you're looking to get a terrarium, here's a piece of advice - you'll likely be much better off financially if you made one yourself! Not to mention, you get to customise it the way you want, and it feels much better that way when you complete it, like an achievement of sorts!

See you next post!
Bloo

No comments:

Post a Comment