Monday 27 January 2014

[WIP] DIY Terrarium

I know I'm a fair bit late into the game, but after spying several cool terrariums out and about, be in online or in funky stores down in the city, I was determined to have one too. But I came across a problem. On their own, terrarium cases that I eyed (geometric ones in particular) were easily over $40. So I looked at the set of the case and plants together, where they were plenty available on Etsy, but they often cost more than $50. Additionally, most were US-based, which was another problem, as you can't bring live plants into Australia.


Interestingly enough, I did ask around some sellers just to verify. Many said they could ship to Australia, but look upon checking their feedbacks on eBay or Etsy, I saw that many buyers had their live plants claimed and destroyed by customs. The sellers don't return the money, claiming the buyer should have known better. Basically, check for your customs policy before ordering plants online!  Some whose packages aren't check still receive their plants, but beware, you don't want to end up spending money and risk not receiving your package!

Back on track to my DIY Terrarium Project, I decided to make my own terrarium by sourcing my 'supplies', so to speak, from different places at the best possible price. My budget for my DIY terrarium is $30. (Also, I plan to make mine into an aquatic terrarium.)


Firstly, a terrarium needs a container or case of sorts. While I initially thought of a mason jar, I found that it would likely be a bit on the small side. I ended up in The Reject Shop and snagging this glass jar case for $7. It is meant to be a candleholder of sorts, but since it's empty inside, it's ideal to be used for this purpose. In fact, I spotted a Melbourne eBay seller selling a small and simple terrarium for $30 using one of these jars. They also come in different inspirational quotes, but I chose the one above.


Next up, you need stones or pebbles. You can get them in  heaps of colours, but I was eyeing the brown stones. They proved to be more difficult to find - I initially wanted rainbow stones, but they ranged from $3 to $15, with the $3 ones looking really horrible. I ended up getting these for $2, which I think matches the case well - especially with the handle.

For normal terrariums (as in, non-aquatic ones), the stones are needed for drainage for the plants. For mine, it's more for decoration, though I suppose they do serve for both function and fashion no matter which terrarium one makes!


As for additional decorations... I purchased them online so they've yet to arrive, but the package included five ceramic figurines of adorable dinosaurs. They'll arrive in two to four weeks since they're from Hong Kong, but I believe they're worth the wait. They were $9 for the pack of five dinosaurs.

Current total is therefore $18.

The plant I purchase was $14, which puts me $2 over my budget at $32, but I don't consider that I've 'blown' my budget with that $2 to be honest! I only purchased it recently so it's yet to arrive, but I will post again when it does, and when my aquatic terrarium is complete!


See you in the next post!
Bloo

5 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I can't wait to see your final project - hopefully it'd motivate my lazy butt to do something too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Surprisingly starting one up is not as difficult as I thought, although I should probably say that only when the terrarium is up and running smoothly and nicely!

      Delete
  2. Wow $40 is pretty expensive. The terrarium is looking good! Look forward to seeing it when it's finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the smaller ones are $30, the bigger ones are really expensive ): Making your own is probably the best way to save on the money. At least you get to customise it the way you want this way!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see it complete!

    ReplyDelete